Sunday, February 14, 2010

Another Week

Well it has passed by so quickly! My Saints won the super bowl, I was so glad that the hubby was in bed so we didn't have any fights going on. Once again I was rooting for the 'wrong' team as most other Hooiser's would say. I was even Boo'ed at work. Well I am used to controversy.
I am working 9 hours at work and even overtime on Sat. Yes I am thankful that I have a job but gosh it sure doesn't leave much time for sewing, knitting or much of anything else. I did manage to get 2 quilts quilted this week.
This first quilt is Mary M's, she is over 90 years young. She was my first ever quilting customer. I thought with her first quilt that I would give up quilting for others. Her piecing was well lets just say not the best.She had just started piecing and I had just started long arming. What a pair we were! But now years later she has improved so much. She gets her points to come out the majority of the time. Her fold and tuck method is down to a minium. It has been such a pleasure to watch her grow as a quilter. As I look at her pic right now, I see one of her pieces is turned. Oh well still a quilt to be proud of. I know she is giving this to her son in law so she just wanted a the simple meander on it, nothing girlie. Great Job Mary!





This quilt is one of mine. Yes I am trying real hard this year to get one done a month. This was done with the Simple Stack the  Deck method.  I did a demo for this at my local club and I pulle dfabrics from my stash to make it. I had all the simple blocks done and wanted to use something to set them. I found this cheap ole black and white plka dot. It had been folded the same way for so long that it has fade lines in it. But I used it anyway. I mean my quilts are for using not for shows. I wanted to border it with what I had so... more pulling from the stash. You can see in the bottom right corner there is a large block, there is also one in the opposite diagonal corner. I didn't have enough of anything on hand that matched to make wide enough borders (I don't like small quilts) to make it a big quilt that I had to go with something a bit unusual. 
But I think it all turned out ok. I have a 71x83 quilt that I will give to my Granddaughter this next Christmas. Now onto the binding. But speaking of bindings. I didn't like the leather thimbles.  I know I need to learn to push with the middle finger but sometimes I still do with the thumb. Practice Practice Practice. The leather thimble did no good on the thumb I couldn't even grasp the needle. (yes I know that is why I need to learn to push with the middle finger) So the leather thimble on the middle finger was to far down on the finger that I still had the raw spot on the tip. So will try something different next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you back again!